Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Slogging around town looking for geocaches, first "hike" of the year

Not too bad for a point and shoot


Maple tree near Goldsbourough creek

Lobaria pulmonaria lichen with and unknown Usnea spp lichen

Moss with sporophytes
(funny how my point and shoot can do
better Macro photography than my DSLR)

Goldbourough creek running high.. I can't spell it

Chanterelles and a birdcage I found while looking for a geocache



4 miles with 260 feet elevation gain

I did not go to bed, I went geocaching instead.  I put on my full hiking rain gear including waterproof boots and my ankle brace and went on a fun filled geocaching adventure around town.  I quit geocaching several years ago due to my PTSD and am now slowly getting back into it.

I only went 4 miles but I got soaked to the bone.  I now realize that I need new rain gear.  I never used to let a little rain keep me from going on a day long epic hike in the Oly's and I wondered what had chaged?  Was I getting too old?  Was I ill?  Neither, it's my rain gear, it's been leaking for awhile and I did not realize it.  I'm going to REI in Oly tonight to pay through the nose for new rain gear.  I don't think they poke holes in the rain gear at REI.  I won't buy rain gear at alpine experience because they poke holes in all of it with their security devices.  I just called RIE and they assured me that they do not poke holes in things that are supposed to be waterproof.. they might poke a hole in a zipper of a rain coat though.  I can live with that.

I will probably send my jacket in for warranty replacement.  I think Marmot has a life time replacement police for de-lamination.  That's a good thing since they all de-laminate eventually.
I brough my point and shoot camera with me and got it wet but that's ok because it's not work right since I got it went on Mount Rose.  I want a waterproof point and shoot camera.  A water proof case for my good camera costs as much as the camera its self so it's a new waterproof point and shoot that I am opting for. 

4 miles with 260 feet elevation gain could not get away from the noise of semi trucks pulling into Simpson and got soaked to the bone but do feel much better for getting out and found 6 geocaches.


Geocaches in the order I found them:








No comments: