Sunday, September 6, 2009

Mount Rose Thunderstorm


The Glorious Summit View


This was the most high energy hike I have ever had. But I survived the drive home. I'm too manic to type. Damn! I can't imagine what kind of trouble I would have gotten myself into if I had stayed in town today.

I made a very long movie of the final push to the summit. I think this will play if you right click and save the file.


Over 1000 feet per mile!



I hiked up in the pouring rain. At one point a thunderbolt crashed and I screamed with glee and yelled "bring it on mother nature!" "You made me, you can come and take me!" The thunder frightened my dog so I had to reassure it that it was ok, it was all good.

The view at the top? Lol I made my own view once I got up top. Maybe I'll have the nerve to post it here.

Brought my doggie with me. She did well, but she shivered a bit on the summit. At least she had her coat on. I saw bears heads and chicken of the woods and a lobster mushroom. The creeks all swelled up and turned into rivers. All that water came down while I was up there.

Mount Rose is now flushed of all the summer hikers. She is clean again and she was all mine. I only saw one piece of toilet paper.. Actually a baby wipe. I picked it up with my trekking pole and pushed in into a hole under a tree.


Yep that's how it felt




Dog shaking off the rain




Salamander hiding from me (rough skinned newt)


(I know the rule of thirds but where does my dog fit in?)
It rained so hard and the ground was so dry that the rain flowed down the trail.



(Found the time to make a tight composition on the way down)

I saw a sexy looking guy at the gas station on the way there and I smiled at him a few times. He looked a bit strange. He was dressed in deer or bear killing cloths from head to toe. I bet he's not used to having strange women smile at him. He looked a bit surprised by my smiles.

I bought some food at Arco. Too manic to be on a budget and look for the cheapest power bars in town. So I splurged and bought a bag of jerky and two overpriced cliff bars. Too bad it turns out The Cliff bars had caffeine in them. I could have done without caffeine today!

I had to share the jerky with my dog because I left the canned cat food in the car inspire of making great efforts to remember to pack it.

It took me awhile to leave the trail head and start my hike because I was so disorganized. But I just gave myself the time and re-did everything a dozen times unlock the door, lock the door, whoops I forgot something, unlock the door, now why did I unlock the door what did I want, oh yeah I remember what I wanted but it's not in this door, re-lock the door, close it. Unlock a different door, get what I want. Remember there was something else in that first door go unlock it again, try to remember what it was. Repeat several times with each door of my five door. Such is life.
 But the system must work because I've never left my GPS on my car roof and I've only locked my keys into my car at the trail head one time.



This is like this and that. (Hint white stripe on tree and on dog, sharp black pointy stump and spot on dog's side.)


Handrail


Chicken of the Woods, water on the lens


My first glimpse of my true love Mount Rose!


Manic



For the first time ever I took my I-pod on a hike and I listened to it for most of the hike. Water song played to deaf ears! I took it off for a bit though. I mostly listened to John Trudell but also listened to Enigma and Ronnie Gilbert and some other stuff. It did make hiking more fun and helped me with the push to the summit.
*********
3 hours up
2.75 hours down
3,500 feet
6.9 miles
177 miles on my shoes
)))))))))))

Other times I have blogged Rose
Thursday, July 31, 2008
Sunday, October 14, 2007
Thursday, June 21, 2007
Wednesday, June 13, 2007
Saturday, June 09, 2007





I took a lot of pictures on the way down but most of my pictures are blurry from water on my lens. I'm kind of glad that some of them came out blurry!

I hope my camera survived this rainy trip. I did not take proper care to keep my camera dry.

My husband had dinner waiting for me and I really enjoyed that. I did not cook lunch or make tea on the summit because it was too cold so I was ready to eat when I got home.



Before Starting (Wow, black really is slimming!)



Fall colors and rain on the lens


Fall colors and rain on the lens


Overhanging mossy rock and dog



Wet!


Floodgates about to burst


This tree survived multiple forest fires only to fall to the (firefighters?) Chainsaw


A sense of place


More dead stuff

Spaniel eyes


How many times have I photographed these trees?

I ran through my favorite forest instead of taking my time.



Setting up the shot


Different realities was my listed trail register destination


Bears head about to be decapitated


Flush baby flush! Flush away the tourists and the greeners. You're all mine for the winter.


Flush! I sure am glad the wildlife department cleaned up all the anglers poop before this happened.



The Day After

So it is the day after the hike and I felt really good for the first 4 hours after I woke up but now the beast is back. But I felt really good this morning. Not too anxious, not too manic, not depressed, clear headed, able to think. It was nice. I must try to get out every week, it does me a world of good.

I am a lot sorer than I expected to be. With the condition I am in I did not actually expect to be at all sore today.

Yeah the manic monster is back now but at least my body is too tired to pay it much heed. Just my thoughts are racing.

I'm reading a book called "Tracks" it is about "A woman's Solo Trek across 1,700 Miles of Australian Outback" copyright 1980. I found this book in a dumpster a few months ago. This reading makes a nice change from the gender-centric musings of Edward Abbey. Abbey writes some good stuff in Desert Solitaire but it is hard for a female bodied person to read. Female bodied people are just an after thought, he never seemed to think that a female bodied person (a woman) might read his books! But Abbey is a product of his times and I grew up during those times, so his writing style is all too familiar.

So now to read about adventures from a female point of view is a refreshing change. Right now I'm on page 74 and Robyn Davidson is depressed, it is nice to read that other people get depressed too. I hope I can do some more reading today. I hope my mind will be calm enough to allow me to read.






Dead Manzanita for a certain forest ecologist

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wrote a poem in 1959 called "Thunderstorm on Mt. Rose." Published in Scimitar and Song. A magnificent place, so thanks for photos (which are very arty) Tom Taylor