Friday, September 11, 2009

Mount Stone and other dreams.

I really want to climb Mount Stone but it might be a bit out of my league. It involves off trail travel and a little bit of rock scrambling and a lot of route finding. Mentally I might not be up for it, but I really want to do it.

My great-aunt is still laying on her deathbed this week. I assume my family would tell me if she had died. My youngest just started Kindergarten in a stressful full-day dual language school. I'm going back to school in a few weeks and I'm stressed out. In the middle of all of that some stupid MHP (what was her name anyway?) moved to Spokane but why the hell should I care. Why the hell has it set me off like this? MHP's come and MHP's go and I normally don't give a toss. What the hell is wrong with me this time? I had almost come back down to normal and the beast is back thanks to one tiny little insignificant thing. WTF?

Hiking on trails is losing its thrill. I could switch to mountain biking but I already know what happens when I try bike riding while manic. I want to try some cross country type stuff now. I know how to read a topo map, but I'm a bit sketchy with the compass.



I know my GPS pretty darn well but it could fail, then again a map could blow away and a compass can be dropped. I need some compass practice or I need to just rely on my GPS and pack extra batteries.

I’m down with my second illness of the Season. I hope to be well enough to hike by Monday. I really want to go camping and hiking somewhere before I have to go back to class on the 28th.

I'll be taking two art classes. I am so relieved that a new art class opened up and it sounds like a good one. It meets for just 4 weekends but it is 8 credits. I was going to have to take statistics and I'm in no state of mind for statistics. I only need 3 credits to get my B.A. degree but I have to go full time to get the funding.

I hope to keep going and get a B.A.S. degree. I only need two quarters of upper division science and then I'll have all the math and science requirements filled. Then I can take art classes or politics classes until I get 225 credits.

There are not many Upper Division Science classes at the college and the one that I took had my crying almost every day. I don’t ever want to repeat that experience, so I hope to earn my last 32 credits in science by doing individual study contracts. I had one all planned out for this quarter but I can’t find a faculty member to sponsor me.

Maybe next quarter I can find a faculty member. My head is really not together enough to deal with science right now anyway. I've had another relapse into the realm of extreme emotions. Maybe I will have settled down by winter quarter.

I need to talk to an advisor and find out if I should apply for my B.A. degree now or wait and apply for a B.A.S. degree next year.

My husband thinks I should just take art classes until I’ve reached the 225 credit limit for financial aid. He says I am good at art and get glowing evaluations in art classes so why should I bother with being a second rate scientist when I can be a first rate artist? But if I’m going to hold on for that many credits I want the dual degree. I loved science at the community college and in grade school and I did well in scientific subjects. But science at Evergreen is a different beast. I got a lousy evaluation in the once science class that I took at Evergreen. But I've gotten glowing evaluations in all my other classes.

No comments: