Saturday, September 26, 2009

Forest Fungi and I am a bit miffed; you're invited to my pity party!

Yes I'm a bit miffed at missing out on the forest fungi class at The Evergreen State College or TESC. I missed out because the class was not offered at registration time. I registered in May; this class was offered in August. I did not see that this new class had been offered so I did not get in it. The class is full with 10 people on the waiting list. I've been waiting literally since fall of 2007 for this class to be offered again. And I can't get in it because it was offered so late. As a senior I have top registration priority.

The instructor for this class is on one of the mushrooms lists I am on and today he posted asking for Naematoloma fasiculare for his class. That post reminded me of what I am missing out on.

The only consolation for me is that this class has 8 days of overnight field trips and I can't leave my children alone for 8 days. I'm not overburdened with family and friends who are willing to help me with childcare. My husband and I are pretty much on our own. His parents are dead. My parents made me a ward of the court and dumped me in Seattle Children's Home until I turned 18.

So I might not have been able to take this class anyway. It is too fucking hard to earn upper division science credit at evergreen unless you are a rich kid who can afford to travel and have no children of your own. Most of the upper level science classes have expensive and required field trips. (The one I wanted to take last year, at first, required students to go to the Grand Canyon.)

So I’ve been trying to do an independent learning contract to get my upper division science credits. But in spite of all my evaluations (we don't get grades at Evergreen, we get evaluations) being excellent to glowing (with one exception) I could not get a prof. to sponsor me. I’m going to try again winter quarter to get a science sponsor. If I can’t get a sponsor I guess I am done at Evergreen. I’ll have my B.A. at the end of this quarter (Yes!) The only reason to hang around after next quarter would be to go for the dual BAS degree. I only need 32 upper division science credits (two quarters) to be eligible for a B.S. But getting upper division science credit at Evergreen seems to have more to do with luck then hard work.

The mushrooms class would have given me 16 upper division science credits.

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!

I know where Naematoloma fasiculare grows but I’m not telling because it’s at my King Bolete spot. Naematoloma fasiculare, you know it’s scary, it’s got olive green gills and it will make you so ill. And I am green with envy.

Yeah, I need to go hiking; sitting around the house is driving my batty. I still have a fever but I’m going hiking tomorrow anyway and I’ve got a doozey planned. My last hike of the summer, I hope I don’t faint up there. I’ll post a TR tomorrow if I have any energy left when I get home.

No comments: