Wednesday, September 16, 2009

New Bicycle, already crashed it, teenagers and logging trucks suck.

Yesterday, I finally went and got myself a good bicycle. It has disc brakes and I got toe clips to go with it. The combination of disc brakes and toe clips has caused me to crash already.

I was on the sidewalk and getting ready to cross a main street with the "walk" signal, when a logging truck turned right and cut off my right of way (It is a sharp corner for a truck and the driver was probably watching his trailer in his mirrors instead of watching the crosswalk) so I stopped and waited for it to go by and then I tried to cross the street again but a little old lady in a little red car was following the logging truck so closely that she cut me off without even seeing me. So being used to a bike with bad caliper brakes I slammed on the brakes and that caused my bike to stop too fast while the toe clips made me unable to jump off. I never left the sidewalk with my bike, this was all just braking to keep from being hit by motorists who were not watching for a pedestrian. The little old lady saw me crash and mouthed "are you ok" through her window. I mouthed yes, but did not know for sure. When I broke my wrist while bicycling, one year ago, it took me about half and hour to realize I was badly hurt.

After I fell I got up and rode a few blocks and then I stopped on the side walk but in the driveway of a closed store to assess the damage and make sure I was not badly hurt. But while I was trying to do that another little old lady came along and honked at me with her huge loud old American car horn until I got up off the side walk. That was pretty much all that my nerves could handle.

The whole point of the trip was to get groceries. But instead of waiting for grocery store to open I went home and took the clips off my pedals and now I don't really feel like riding my new bike. I am afraid of the disc brakes.

I still don't have any groceries. I might drive to the store later. I don't want to ride my bike this time of day anyway because the high school kids are just getting out of school for the day and a few of them like to torment me by jumping out in front of me and screaming and then jumping back really quick.

Both of my wrists and both of my knees are hurting now.

No comments: