Friday, August 28, 2009

School and Flu Season Starts Early



I fully expected to get sick next week. I am generally ill with colds, sinus infections and the flu from September to April of every year. When the kids go back to school they bring home germs. They go back on Tuesday so I expected to get sick next week. Surprise! I got sick today. Symptoms are a sudden fever, a headache, and a runny nose. Summer is now over.

My 5 year old gets to start Kindergarten with a fever. But at least, unlike me, she won't get the measles and chicken pox in Kindergarten.

I won't be hiking this weekend. I've reached the pinnacle (Mount Adams) of the hiking season, now all that is left is to lose my muscle tone and gain weight. In the Fall I always tell myself that I am going to stay in good shape over the winter, by hiking and snowshoeing but not this fall. I know it is not possible with the colds and the flu and the sinus infections that are awaiting me. Time to start saving up for my annual courses of Augmention.



Hiker slowly starves as he treks Colorado's backcountry

One good thing about having a fever it that it limits my ability to engage in pleasurable and/or high-risk activities that may result in painful consequences.

No comments: