Tuesday, November 22, 2005

Lower South Fork Skokomish

I was able to get out early again today. I woke up at 6am nursed the baby and said goodbye to my husband. I did not waste anytime eating breakfast or making coffee. In the future I am going to brew a pot of coffee and take a thermos full with me in the car to save money.

I stopped for Gas at AM/PM where the prices are pretty good. They also charge $1.79 for Clif Bar so I passed those up and had a Tiger's Milk Bar for breakfast. I've not had them before and they taste pretty good but are probably a waste of money. May as well buy a Snickers bar for half the price.

I was on the trail by 7:30 am. The first mile of this trail goes through some amazing old growth and it was a bit primeval in the morning fog at twilight.

I hiked to camp comfort and back with a lot of little side trips for a total hike of about 9 miles. I found TONS of a certain kind of mushroom but they had all been hit by frost and were worthless. Maybe next year I'll got a little bit earlier and get them. I only saw two other people on the trail but they did not see me. I was off the trail looking at mushrooms.

No sign of any Matsutake on this trail. Too bad my head was filled with visions of bags full of Mastutakes all night.

This was my first hike since my Grandma died four days ago. I did not take a lunch break because as soon as I sat down I started thinking of my Granmda and it made me too sad.

After I hiked back to the trail head I drove up to Lebar Horse Camp 1/2 mile up the road. On the side of the road I found a large pile of Chum Salmon. They had been stripped of their eggs and dumped. They must have been dumped very recently as there was very little stench. Perhaps this is what the local ndns do with the Chum now instead of dumping them in the Hood Canal. I took the time to light a smudge stick of sage and blessed the salmon. I don't know if it made the salmon feel better but it made me feel better!

The chum were too far gone at the time of harvest to have edible flesh but still I hate to see this slaughter and stripping of eggs.

Ok now my thoughts are on Thanksgiving dinner and how I am going to burn it off, but first I have to cook it. I'll need to do a strenuous hike next week perhaps a turkey burn? This one would do the trick:

Nov. 29, Sat. - Marmot Pass Turkey Burn (S) (USGS or GT
Tyler Peak; CC
Buckhorn Wilderness) 10.4 mi. RT. 3500 gain.
Come on out after Thanksgiving
and burn off that food before it
changes your belt size. Meet 8:30 a.m. at
Quilcene RS.
I wonder how much snow there is on Marmot Pass right now? I'd like to join the mountaineers but it's rather expensive and I really enjoy my solo hikes. With two busy children to take care of the rest of the week it's vital to my mental health to go solo. It's the only time I can hear myself think!

No comments: