Thursday, November 3, 2005

A Cold Wet Hike



I wanted to hike in Quinault today but was worried about the coming storm so I headed out to the North Fork Skokomish again.

About 1.5 miles into the hike it started to snow. About two inches of snow fell and it was real pretty but it was already melting by the time I turned around. I hiked to "Big Log" camp. There was a huge live ceder that was hollow at the base. I was able to sit comfortably inside this living tree. It was a good place take off my rain coat and re-arrange my clothing layers.
Every piece of waterproof gear that I have failed today.. : One of my gortex boots leaked, my cheap rain jacket (my precip jacket is in for warranty repair) leaked bad, my Rain pants leaked and my waterproof gloves leaked.

The picture on the left shows the creek running down the trail. This is a common occurrence in November in Olympic National Park.

Maybe Seabury Blair was right when he said that in the Pacific Northwest Gortex will keep you about as dry as a wet sponge.

I really can't afford new rain gear so maybe you'll see seeing me hiking down the trail in my bright yellow rubber fishing pants next week.

I had the trail entirely to myself, but I did count 22 elk not far from the Ranger Station. Also there were some animal tracks in the snow on one of the foot bridges.






No comments: