Tuesday, October 15, 2013

SPOT Messenger - Faulty device, poor support

What's inside
I've been a SPOT customer for 3 years but I think that is about to change. I've had four SPOT units fail on me now and the best Global Star will do for me is offer to sell me a new outdated unit for $50.00. How long will this new unit last? I suspect it will not last very long at all.

When the SPOT quits working like it did on my last backpacking trip, it worries my family.  I'm better off with no SPOT at all then a non-functioning one.


(I wonder if the Delorme Inreach is more reliable?)

I think I'm going to go back to writing down my destination on some paper and listing a set time to call out SAR if I am not heard from.  That will save me $250 a year.  The SPOT service costs $100 and the SPOT device costs $150.  The SPOT device is so poorly made that it breaks down at least once a year.


I asked SPOT to send me a new model for free.  SPOT claimed that they have already given me four free devices.  Not true!  Yes,  I've been through five SPOT devices now, but SPOT only replaced one of them for free. 

The one that was replaced was only 1-2 months old and was replaced under warranty.  I pointed that out to SPOT aka Global star and they admitted that  I was correct, but still the best offer they have is to sell me an outdated SPOT 2 for $50.  No thanks.  If they had offered me a current model SPOT 3, I might have said yes.

SPOT aka Global star also will not cancel my auto-renewing contract for me.  They refuse to cancel it unless I call within  45 days of the auto renewal date.  That is total B.S.!  My contract runs out in February, I will have to remember to call them in December to tell them not to renew it.  Last time I got around the auto-renew by changing my credit card information.  There is no way to opt out of auto-renew when you sign up for the service.  I think that is unethical.

Globalstar claims that the SPOT will break if you have it within 12 inches of another SPOT messenger or transmitting GPS unit.  Also using rechargeable batteries will cause your device to malfunction permanently.  The SPOT really does not seem to be made well.

One rep claimed that my SPOT must have broke because I was hiking with someone else who had a SPOT messenger.  Hmmmmm..  A device that is designed to kill its own kind?

 Click here to see what other people think of this device and the company that sells it.

I took my most recent defective SPOT device apart so I could see what was inside of it.  I have not yet decided for sure what I am going to do.  I still have 4 months of SPOT service left but I really resent the idea of having to buy yet another SPOT device.  It's like throwing good money after bad.

The Delorme inreach looks really nice but the price is way out of my reach..

What's inside

No comments: