Friday, January 29, 2010

Another Rosey Mosey on the Dose














The start of the hike at the big washout


There was a pay station but I did not see a register for hikers





Burned Ridge from Constance fire


Park Entrance



Fire Damage


Rock Slide on the trail road



Lake Constance Trailhead demolished by the fire



No fishing!


Burt Rock and Cut tree



Fire Damage Pano


A pretty rock



This is the road!



Smashed sign


Dosewallips Falls



Dosewallips Falls


Neigh Neigh Neigh, but I am not a horse



Station Creek hydroelectric building, very recently buried



Drowned hydroelectric building and sign at the end of the road



Ralph the bear's old place in the valley



Do not enter sign for people coming down the trail.



The shit house was a welcome site indeed!



Lunch spot


Dosewallips falls on the walk out



Twisty


Elkhorn campground has had some maintenance


Green and blue


Mount Jupiter


The damage to the road from the Constance fire was not as bad as I expected. I saw two cyclists on the trail who were on their way out from camping.

My Jeep made it over the washout before the washout so I started my hike at the big washout. I was a bit scared driving over it but my Jeep did just fine.

I went 21 days without hiking due to sinus trouble. It felt really good to be back out there today. Maybe I will calm down a bit now.

After seeing how nasty Staircase is in the summer, I think I vote for this road to never being repaired; not that my vote counts for anything. I enjoyed the solitude and the lack of crowds and the lack of rangers. But I never actually saw what this place was like when the road was open.

I had enough energy to go up the trail, but I stopped at the campground because dogs are not allowed on the trails.

I started my hike at 10 am and finished at about 3:45. My moving average was 3.7 MPH on this smooth road/trail.

12 miles with
1,100 feet elevation gain
Average moving speed 3.7 miles per hour!

216 miles on my shoes

Other times I have blogged this hike

Saturday, November 22, 2008
Monday, February 11, 2008
Thursday, March 02, 2006
Wednesday, December 27, 2006

I also carried my then 12 month old the entire way on my back (after one hell of an argument with my husband) sometime in 2005, but before I started blogging. That may have been my favorite trip.
















2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was suprised by the new damage at the end of the road.

Anonymous said...

Excellent photos, love the mossy trunks and the twisted madrona. The washout shots are interesting also.