Wednesday, January 23, 2019

Wynoochee Falls

Moss on a rock . This might be Racomitrium varium according to my moss mentor
David Wagner



I was headed for a sort of obscure location in the Wynoochee watershed, but the road was blocked so I went to Wynoochee Falls instead.

I had trouble sleeping the night before and I got a later start then I wanted.  My child missed the school bus and then could not find his house key then I had to wait for him to get ready.  I dropped him off at school at and I was off in a big hurry.  The days are short and I was more anxious than usual about possibly hiking out in the dark.

I thought that SIRI was routing me up Cougar-Smith but no, Apple maps are not that good. SIRI tried to route me up Kelly road.  I don't even know if Kelly road is open, but Cougar-Smith is much faster.  I had a long hard hiked planned today so I drove maybe a little faster than I should of on the Wynoochee Valley road.  I wonder if that road is ever patrolled?

As soon as I passed the dam I encountered downed woody debris on the road and then  a downed tree over the road.  My planned hike was off, so time for plan B, Wynoochee Falls.

When I parked at the gate I saw a group older hikers just getting started, and they saw me.  I could tell that they thought I might be with their group because the paused and waited for me for a bit before continuing on down the road.  It was clear to me that I was going to have company at Wynoochee falls and I was not real happy about that, or was I?

I decided it might be fun to meet them.  Hiking solo is not as much fun when there is no one at home to return to at the end of the hike and no one at home to try to get away from at the start of the hike.  Yes my teen would be home, but he is at a very difficult age.  I caught up to them at the falls and one of them gave me a razor clam fritter!  I chatted with a few of them, they are from the Olympians hiking club established in 1920.   When they packed up and left I felt a bit sad.

Wow have I changed!   I normally don't like to see any other hikers and I always feel glad when they leave.  Losing my spouse has changed me.  It this change permanent or will it fade as I get back onto my feet?

I needed more exercise than just the 5 miles round trip to the falls so I turned left and headed further up the road with no set destination.  Eventually I looked at my GPS map and decided to make the second bridge my destination.

I did not pause for long at the bridge since I had lunch at the falls and I've had to cut way back on my coffee consumption since my husband passed away.  I've been too anxious to be able to drink coffee all day long.

9 miles with  750 feet elevation gain




Razor Clam Fritter


under the second bridge

New pack is perfect


Medicine, but too rotten to harvest


No comments: