Friday, May 16, 2014

Oligotrichum aligerum from Church Creek headwaters

Whole leaf 3mm X .75 mm at the base

Cross section really surprised me
I found this just above the peat bog. This moss feels like spiky little pine trees, much more so than Polytrichum. I had to get a closer look.  It feels like some sort of strange hybrid between Polytrichum and Atrichum, it even looked like it had geminate teeth but on closer inspection it turned out that lamlea have teeth too.

 I was able to key it out by running it through the Atrichum key in Norris / Shevock but not be running it straight through the key, I had to jump around a lot but I got there in the end.


Cells look pappilose

Looks like double teeth (geminate) but one of the teeth
is actually on the lamellae and not the margin


No comments: