Saturday, November 21, 2009

Biking on logging roads and train tracks





Water over the track. This track is not in use right now because a bridge in downtown Shelton washed out last year.



Gives the term "waste land" a whole new meaning.



A sordid history



was 1990 really that long ago?


Run patches run!




Trying to find something pretty in all this waste land.



Left or right?

Old growth cedar stumps in a swamp next to the rail line.


Goldsborough creek rail road bridge.


















I was surpised to find this bridge on what I assumed was an unmaintained trail.

I rode 11 miles and I managed not to crash. I was careful not to ride over any slippery sticks that were bigger around than my tires and I cleared away alot of the bigger sticks so I could stay on my bike more on the way back.

Biking feels much different to me then hiking. It is more invigorating and more intense. It seems to be a good way to get in a quick work out when I don't have the time for a long hike.

My bike needs a tune up already. I think it is still a good bike but it did not get tuned up properly by the harried REI employee who sold it to me. The bike was supposed to be ready for me when I arrived and it was not. There was only one clerk at the bike counter and he was busy waxing skis or doing something with skis. Maybe I will take it to the local shop to get it tuned up and bypass my free tune up at REI.

The rear derailer will not shift into the lowest three gears and the brake levers keep sticking or doing something weird. I think there is too much slack in my brake rear brake cable. I am disappointed that my bike is already shifting poorly. I hope this is not going to be a problem bike for me.






I found an old caboose and a new trail system during my travels today. I did not know about this trail system, I think it is build for motorcycles. It does not get much use and I can see why I might need eye protection while I am biking.

No comments: