Friday, March 9, 2007

My complete six ounce cook set






Here is my complete Heineken can pot six ounce backpacking cook set. This set includes a stove, windscreen, pot stand, bottom reflector, insulated cup and bowl. I will normally pack a lexan spoon too.



This is the insulated bowl with a screw on lid. I will boil two cups of water at a time with this system. When the water reaches a boil I grab the can with a gloved hand or with a bandanna and I pour one cup of it over a dehydrated dinner in the bowl. ( I make all my own dehydrated food) then the bowl screws together and the cozy is put over it. The food simmers in the bowl. Food will stay warm for 30 minutes with this sytem.




After the first cup of water is poured off the pot goes back on the stove til the water is boiling again (about 20 seconds) and then I pop a tea bag into it, take the pot off the stove and put it in a bubble wrap cozy and let the tea simmer for three minutes. After the tea has simmered I remove the tea bag add powdered milk and sugar and drink it right out of the pot. Using the bubble wrap my pot turns into an insulated mug that does not burn my hands. I sip my tea while dinner is simmering.

The pot lid is made out of the bottom of a large catfood can. I used J.B. weld to attach the handle to it. This lid fits so well that I can fill the pot with water put the lid on it and hold the can upside down without the water leaking out!



This is picture shows the system cooking. The stove burns alcohol and is made with a wedding favor tin and a fiberglass wick. The stove is somewhat adjustable. For simmering the wick can be pulled into the tin a bit and for quicker boiling the wick can be pulled out. To fill the stove I open the top half then pour the alcohol in. The post stand it made of hard ware cloth and I'm not sure how well it will stand up to heat over time. This system using two tablespoons of alcohol will boil two cups of cold water in about 13 minutes and then continue to run for another three minutes. With the wick shortened it will run for 21 minutes on two tablespoons of alcohol and reaches a boil in about 16 minutes. This stove works well with a can pot because the flame stays below the pot and barely licks up the sides.




The stove, windscreen, pot stand, fuel bottle and matches all fit inside the pot and give the pot extra durability in my pack.


I slip a pot cozy over the top of the can to hold it all together. This is what the complete system looks like minus the bowl. If I choose to forgo the tea and just eat my meals out of the pot my system will look like this and weigh a bit less.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

cool site, I know alittle bit about edible mushrooms, but not that much grows up here(Yukon) cool stuff though.
Peace
Karst