Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Cooking Rice with a Can Stove and Pot

Using a YACC stove and an Ion stove I can cook rice. I start with the YACC stove with two tablespoons of fuel, 2/3 cup of dry rice 2 1/3 cup of water. I use so much water because some of it boils off.





It comes to a full boil in 9 minutes and continues to boil for 3-4 minutes


After the fuel has run out I put 1 teaspoon of fuel in a specially made ion stove. The center hole is smaller then normal and that makes this stove burn very slowly. If I poured the rice and water into a bowl with a cozy I think it would continue cooking until it was done without the use of the second stove.


18 minutes later rice is fully cooked and the fuel is used up. This is faster then the 20 minute method I use at home. I think I could do with with just one stove by tightening the windscreen to cut off air to the boiling stove. Cutting of the air should slow it down to a simmer.




Rice has been transferred to a nice bowl and is ready for butter buds and Parmesan cheese. A bit of dehydrated hamburger and mushrooms or veggies could be added to the rice as it boils to make a nice meal.

No comments: