Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Lower South Fork Skokomish



I drug myself out of the house to day and had a nice hike. I did not know if I would feel well enough to do much of a hike. I thought I might only go a mile and turn around but I just had to get out of the house. When all was said and done I had hiked 13 miles. I always feel better when I get out of the house, being home depresses me, too much stress and mess here I guess.




I did not intend to do a loop but that's how it worked out. I walked half the loop on a road and the other half on the trail. It was not a bad way to do it really.



There were a lot of blow downs and this trail really needs some work done on it. In one spot I lost the trail and this is a trail that I know well.



I started out at the trail head near the Le Bar horse camp becuase I was feeling lazy. By starting out at Le Bar a big climb right at the start of the hike is avoided. I took the Le Bar trail to the main trail but then turned of onto something called the "120 access" and it took me back to the road I was parked on, that road is the 2353. I walked about 4 miles up the 2353 and then took a spur trail back down to the Skok and took the Skok trial all the way back to the Le Bar Trail.

Here are a few .avi clips of this hike, I hope they make you feel like you are out hiking!

BTW that sound is not the sound of me breathing it's my rain pants or my foot falls.. I was too lazy to work hard enought to get out of breath today.







Last night I made a new stove just for this hike and it did not work well at all! Also my can pot got dented when I was ducking under all those trees. I need to keep it lower in my pack I think. They dent came out easily enough though.

I cooked lunch and brewed two cups of tea while on this hike. I need a better strategy for cooking my dehydrated food. It might require some simmering on the stove in addition to simmering in a bowl. I put 1/2 cup of water in my meal an hour before I cooked it so it would start rehydrating. Maybe I should have added the water even sooner.

2 comments:

maplesugar said...

Hey Shawnie!
Great pics.. I really enjoyed them.
Hope you had a great time.
A Secret Friend.

feralhiker said...

Enjoyed your clips and pictures. I need to stop making excuses and get out in less than dry weather. I bet nearly all the trails in western Washington have a lot of blowdowns this year.