Wednesday, March 7, 2007

More Stoves



I tried to make a cyclone stove today but I did not measure anything or use a template. The stove boils water but it does not make a cyclone. Maybe I will use the template and try again. I have nothing that I can punch perfect sized holes into steel with though.



Also today I decided to try making a wicking stove. The stove below boiled two cups of water using 1 US fluid ounce = 2 US tablespoons of denatured alcohol in 13 minutes and then continued to burn for another 3 minutes. Testing conditions were

42 °F / 6 °C
Light Rain
Humidity: 89%
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the SW

I suppose the tap water I used was about 45 degrees F.




The stove stand is not actually part of the stove and can be removed. I've been trying to make a stove that works well with a Heineken can pot. Tea Light "stoves" do not hold enough fuel but they do direct the flame to a small spot. Many stoves send flames shooting up the side of the narrow can pot and do not work well. My new wicking stove holds enough fuel and thanks to the wick directs the flame to a small spot that does not overlap the sides of my narrow can pot.


I fill this stove with fuel by taking the top off pouring in the 2 tablespoons of fuel that it holds and then putting the top back on. I light the top of the wick. The wick is fiberglass. The first several times I ran this stove it got too hot and flames started

No comments: