Sunday, November 6, 2011

Russula laurocerasi

Russula laurocerasi  common name "almond-scented Russula"


Russula laurocerasi  smells so sweet and looks so big and edible but tastes like a red hot pepper! I've seen these lots of times before but I did not think I would be able to key them so I never tried.   I have more confidence in my ability to key mushrooms now, so I took some home to key yesterday.   These came from private property.    I used the awesome matchmaker program at http://forestry-dev.org/biodiversity/matchmaker/index_e.html  to key these and got it right on the first try.  These came up as my number one match.   The downloadable program is the one to use.  I had trouble with the hard drive file so I downloaded the CD file and then it worked fine.  I really love this program!

These have ornamented spore so maybe I will take it into the lab look at the spores.  It also sound like this thing has HUGE  cystidia, all the more reason to do some microscopy with this specimen.

No comments: