Monday, July 2, 2012

Sphagnum ID

Wow what an amazing day to be a bryologist in the space of 20 feet I foundwild Marchantia polymorpha (it's a different subspecies from the green house weed), Plagiochila porelloides (It's huge!) Riccardia multifida (in my petri dish) and Hookeria lucens moss and I was able to ID all of them in just about an hour.

 Earlier this week with help from exeperts I identified Spagnum girgensohnii and I  then I identified Sphagnum squarrosum all by myself. I am starting to understand the Sphagnum keys but still no luck getting a branch leaf cross section.

Riccardia multifida with up to 3 unistrose border cells and oil bodies only in the internal tissues
Hookeria lucens at just 40 times, the cells are huge
Plagiochila prelloides, this plant is huge for a leafy liverwort

Sphagnum girgensohnii

Sphagnum girgensohnii

Stem cross section

Stem cortical cells

Stem leaf

Abaxial branch leaf surface

Adaxial branch leaf surface


Branch leaf cells

Stem leaf cells





No comments: