Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Post Mid-term Freak out

Ah yes, it's time for a post mid-term freak out.  Lichen are part of the fungal kingdom but I never paid much attention to them until this quarter.  Now I know more than anyone needs to know about lichen.   



 
Back to fungi perfecti, my matsutake spot was barren of any mushrooms when I checked.  But I have a hunch that this is the week.  It frosted in town this morning and Matsutake likes to come up after the first frost.  Fall mushroom season was not the best, maybe winter mushroom season will be better.  I'm looking forward to yellow foot / winter chanterelles.
 
I've collected and curated 20 mushroom specimens and 18 lichen specimens for my class.  Now I just need to get two more lichens and then memorize the scientific names of 60 mushrooms and 20 lichens and write a final paper take two final exams and get over the flu. 

 Fall is always my best quarter, I'm usually pretty laid back and able to focus by the time summer is over, and we get a one week break right before finals week during fall quarter.  I wish every quarter came with a break right before finals!
 
I hope I will get over the flu and up to matsutake hunting by this weekend.

No comments: