Monday, July 27, 2009

Gladys Divide and Flap Jack Lakes


Roasting at Staircase Campground in Summer, aka purgatory



Legs and trees



First Jr. Ranger Badge




Boardwalk on the Flapjack trail



Tall Trees



Madeline Bridge



Fork in the trail



The cross in the upper left corner caught my eye



Flapjack Lake




My first sighting of Black Slime Mold




Flowers above the Lakes




Tarn below the Divide




At this point, in a hike I have never done before, I like to pause and wonder what the view will be like. I know the view is coming so I tease myself for a moment by pausing.


Gladys Divide and my pack




Yep I made it!

I took the family camping at Staircase and I went hiking. I did not want to stay at Staircase, but my kiddo wanted to go camping, so for her sake I suffered with the crowds and noise. God, I hate the front country in the summer. I’m not going back to Staircase until AFTER they lock the gate for the winter. Anyway, my kiddo had a good time and she got her first Jr. Ranger Badge.

A ranger suggested that I hike to Wagon Wheel Lake :shakehead: instead of hiking to Gladys Divide. But, I’ve been to Wagon wheel Lake and I know better. I’m even a little bit miffed that the ranger tried so hard to get me to do Wagon Wheel instead of Gladys. But he seemed like a nice guy so I’ll try not to hold it against him. :)

I started my hike at 6:30 AM and finished at 6:30 PM. The hike up to Flapjack lakes was easy for me, but I was getting hot so I jumped in the lake with all my clothes on. When I got out of the lake a swarm of blood sucking bugs tried to eat me. :eek: To avoid being eaten I sat in the lake with just my head sticking out of the water. I felt very refreshed after my dunk in that cold lake. When I was done swimming I got away from the area as fast as I could.

I had plenty of energy left to go for the Gladys Divide, 1,100 feet and one mile up the trail. The divide was great! There was just enough of a breeze on the divide to keep all the bugs away. I cooked up a big meaty protein filled lunch while I was soaking up the views. I decided not to diet at all on this hike because I was a bit concerned about the high mileage and I wanted to enjoy my first visit to the divide.

I always hike alone, but when I was on the divide, I felt a little bit creeped out being all alone and so far from the trail head. There was no reason for it though, the hike out was uneventful.

On the way down I stopped and dunked myself in the Lake again. My clothes had completely dried out from my first dunking. I was completely dry again well before my hike was over.

Just before the divide I saw two deer and just before the finish of my hike I saw two grouse. Horseflies circled me and started following me several times but I managed to scare them off with my trekking poles.

When I got back down to the campground my family was not in our site. My family was down at the river trying to keep cool. I joined them and I jumped in the river before going back to camp.



GPS Totals from campsite to campsite

18.5 Miles RT
4,300 Feet Elevation Gain







View from the Divide



The needle in the Sawtooth Range




The needle





Penstemon on the divide



A hole near the needle




Grouse on the Skokomish trail



Trail Junction



Lower Flap Jack Lake



Flapjack Lakes were very cold and that was a good thing.



Cimatic Climax Forest of Mountain Hemlock




Totals




Elevation profile log




Track log

GPS totals
Campsite to Campsite 18.6 miles
Elevation gain 4,300

Shoe miles 130 (holes are forming on the heel area in the inside of the shoes

1 comment:

Gregg P said...

Beautiful country and experience! Stay positive and enjoy! As always, thanks for sharing!