Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Giant Lepotia??




What the heck is this thing? We are almost sure it is a parasol mushroom (Macrolepiota procera) but we seem to be getting a gray spore print and my book says they are only known to Arizona and the South West. We are not going to eat it even though it smells good. It stains reddish at first and then brown.

Click on the images to enlarge them

We asked an expert at the college and he answered:
"Chlorophyllum (Lepiota) rachodes complex, probably Chlorophyllum (Lepiota)
brunneum"

These are considered to be quite tasty but they do upset some people's stomachs. These were too old to bother with so we still won't eat them.

Searching on Chlorophyllum brunneum" yielded this information Yeesh, no wonder we were confused. In fact this reminds me of a song:

Used to be called Hypholoma
but they couldn’t leave it alone-a
they changed the name to Naematoloma,
Then back to Hypho-lo-ma
Nuf to make a mycologist groan-a


That and many more are on the CD "Fungal Boogie"

OH! OH oh! I see they have new CD out. Kewl new music to drive to the shroom hunting spots by.













We spent the day doing back to school stuff. Bought back to school shoes for both of us. Yep I'm going back to school this fall. I'm finally going to get the BA degree that I went for in 1989. Ninety seven of my credits transferred so I'm off to a good running start.

We wandered around campus some today. My GPS said we walked over six miles but I'm not sure I believe it. We walked down to the beach and back in search of mushrooms. I've never had much luck hunting for mushrooms in the woods there.

I'm not sure how much going to college is going to impact my hiking but I hope to be able to stay with my hiking.   If I get the class that I want in winter quarter I will go hiking and backpacking as part of my studies.

No comments: