Tuesday, August 31, 2021

Following the Bait Lines

Gollan's Creek


 We are on level three lockdown in New Zealand so I have plenty of time to blog some of my older hikes.

This one started as a planned brushcrash to take me to a pretty valley off the trail.  After I did a bit of reasearch on the net I discovered that my planned route was on a bait and trap line.  So this would not be a brush crash but would be nice and quiet.

I'm really starting to like the bait and trap lines, the lines are just barely trails and they don't get visited much.  They have the same solitude advantages as brush crashing but with much less risk.

I had trouble staying on route though, a lot of trouble!  I went way to far to the right and I kept crossing ridge after ridge on the left trying to fix my course.  How could I be so many ridges off?  Back home I can clearly see my track log so I know what happened.  Finally I found the correct line and down I headed only to find that I had gotten off the line yet again!  More backtracking and I was on the right line again and did not lose it. By this time it was 2pm.  I debated coming back to do this another day, but I went for it.


What a pretty spot I found and I had it all to myself!  I lingered and had lunch but I had to hurry to get back off the trap line before dark. I did not want to risk getting lost off trail.  My delorme battery was dead and I did not have a cord for it.

I'll be back!

3.5 miles with 1,400 feet gain on this up and down route
















No comments: