Thursday, December 17, 2020

Cloqualliam Hill with a turkey sandwich

 

Back to the hill that I call  Cloquallum  Hill.  This walk is just off  Cloquallum  road and behind a Greed Diamond permit holders area. 

This is one of the nicer logging road hikes that I do and the distance an elevation gain make for some pretty good exercise.  I have yet to run into anyone else on this route.  The crowds prefer to go to the nearby lake.

I've started selling my stuff as I prepare to move to New Zealand in April.  I'm so anxious about the logistics of my stuff.  What will I take?  Maybe I will just take a couple of suitcases and call it good.  Maybe I will mail some stuff to myself too.  Maybe I will hire a moving cube and ship some stuff.  

It is so hard for me to know what to do.  I look forward to a fresh start with less stuff.  But I also have some family heirlooms that no one seems to want and are too big to fit in a suitcase.  I wish I was less anxious about my stuff.

Is attachment the source of all human misery?  Do I own my stuff or does my stuff own me?

This was a cold hike but when I realized I had forgotten my water bottle I decided to leave my stove, pot and fuel in the car.   I had packed at wonderful smoked and brined turkey sandwich and two cans of Kombucha. So instead of a long session of cooking noodles and making coffee I just had a quick sandwich and a drink.  Quick because it was wind and cold and a bit of rain was spitting down. 

No view to speak of today, but plenty of good exercise.   There are still chanterelles popping in the woods.  I don't recall ever picking them this late in the year before.

6.5 miles with 1,000 feet elevation gain

Just cell phone pictures today, I was too disorganized to pack a camera. 















No comments: