Sunday, April 5, 2020

Cloquallum Hills

Ramen with fresh herbs and veg
(I always toss out the poison flavor pack)
Cloqualliam Hills, that is my unofficial name for this area.  The parks and the forest are crowded since the Governor issued stay at home orders for the State.   I like to keep to myself and I don't like to put a lot of miles on my car, so I've been sticking to the tree farms for my exercise.  

This area caught my eye due to a lake I saw on Google Earth. I will hike to the lake one day but it is only 3 miles round trip and I was in the mood for a real hike.  While I was eyeballing the lake, I noticed this hill that looms over the lake and has a clear cut top.

It looked like the perfect hike for me, 8 miles round trip with some elevation gain, a view at the top and probable solitude.  So I went for it.

I enjoyed this walk through roughly 30 year old trees and up the hill to a clear cut with a view.  I did not see or hear anyone else all day long.  I almost always see people in the Dayton tree farm now with the stay at home orders in effect.  

I will be back to explore this new to me area.  A $150 Greed Diamond tree farm pass is required to hike here.  I hate giving money to the devil, but what can I do?

It is tick season and I expect Sage will have picked up a few on this hike.  Logging roads are noted for them, especially the decommissioned ones. 

I'm getting into better shape and this hike was a little bit easier for me than it would have been a few weeks ago. 

I hope you all are staying safe and staying close to home.  I'm thankful to live in a state that acknowledges hiking to be an essential activity.  I will not leave my county to hike until this is all over.

8 miles with 1,100 feet elevation gain






























No comments: