Tuesday, November 15, 2016

Sad, sad news about my new dog Sage

Sage's regular vet has been too busy to see her so I forked out $290.00 to take her to a different vet and get her checked out.  Sage has pretty bad hip dysplasia on her left side.  Bad enough that it would be cruel to take her on the kinds of hikes I go on.  I'm so sad for her and for me.  I don't have a hiking buddy now and she's going to have a painful life of in activity.  I don't know if Sage was born this way or it was caused by her being grossly overfed when she was a pup.

If I want a hiking buddy, I'll have to get a different dog.  This is Sage's forever home, so that means I have to get a second dog and I REALLY don't want two dogs.  Two dogs means twice the expense, twice the dirt and destruction, twice the smell, twice the hassle when I want to travel.

I'm looking for a second dog, I need a HEALTHY dog with good hips and I much prefer Springer Spaniels for their love for water and hiking and for their breeding that causes them to stay close to their master.  Also for their cold hardiness and they funny personalities.




1 comment:

nivaun said...

That is sad news, I am so sorry.

Sunday we had the 5 year memorial of my hiking buddy, Edison. Spent the day at Lake Crescent. Earlier this year we lost Jessica. Both were Australian Shepherds. We’ve decided not to get another dog for a while because next year we leave on a 10 year bikepacking/backpacking journey.

I sure hope you find a great healthy hiking partner soon. Sure miss mine and I don’t wish this feeling for anyone.