Thursday, September 3, 2015

Mole Stroll for the Soul


Delicate fall colors on a vine maple tree


The gates are still open, so I decided to take advantage of that fact and I started my hike at Camp Comfort on the South Fork Skokomish River.  The Lower trail is nicest near the lower trail head but I've seen that section of the trail many times, so I decided to hike the middle section to the river ford.  There used to be a bridge over the Skok but it washed out many years ago.

Just as I was about to get out of my car the skies opened up, so I hid out in my car for about ten minutes.  The hike was uneventful and the scenery was not terribly inspiring, but it was very good for me to get out of the house.

For lunch I had a sandwich made with smoked cheese from Grocery Outlet, a cup of Vina Cafe three in one coffee and a package of gummy bears.

I packed my Nikon D90 with an 18-55 3.5-5.6 lens.

8 miles with 800 feet elevation gain

Laetiporus conifericola aka "Chicken of the Woods"

Drought killed trees on the river bank

First Chanterelle mushroom of the year Cantharellus subalbidus the "white chanterelle"

Fungi growing on a leaf, maybe some bacteria too make it pretty

The powerline fire was still smoldering a bit

No comments: