Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Chanterelle Spot was Logged this Week



I'm so sad and angry at the same time.  Some of my favorite second growth trees have been cut down and one of my best mushroom hunting spots is now gone.    The forest and trail system next to Potlatch State Park, is gone forever.  They logged it all the way down to within 20 feet of the road and 40 feet of the Hood Canal.  Why is that legal to log nearly to the edge of the southern Hood Canal, with all of its oxygen problems?

On a brighter note, I found a wonderful surprise on my front gate today.  It did not have a card, so I'll have to figure it out by looking at my deer cam source.  Until then, thank you, who ever you are.

These woods are now gone forever



My oldest daugher crawling under the brush and trees (that are now gone) to collect Chanterelles

This Chanterelle mycelium will  never fruit again, with its host tree gone
We did not pick this edible and rare "hawks wing"  mushroom because it was so pretty

This deadly but beautiful aminita will never fruit again with its host tree gone

I'm so glad that we made it out there this year before they destroyed it.   Keep enjoying what is left of nature, before it is all gone.


No comments: