Thursday, November 11, 2010

Spider Lake



I needed to get back out into the woods to clear my head but I was not up for a big hike. I mostly just wanted to enjoy the solitude and devote time to photography. It rained most of the time but I was prepared with an umbrella to protect my camera. I did not find any edible mushrooms. There was a lot of logging activity coming from the high steel bridge direction and lot of piles of burning slash just North of South mountain. I thought they were saving all the "slash" for biomass incinerators. Maybe this is a good sign. But they still should not be burning stuff. Stuff needs to stay in the forest to nourish the forest.  The logs being  hauled out were bigger than usual.

I only walked around the lake one time.

2.5 miles no elevation gain

Conks, moss and hemlock seedlings growing on "biomass"

Hygrophorus bakerensis they smell just like maraschino cherries  I like to carry them around and sniff them

Trees growing on a moss covered nurse log


Artist's Conk

Lacteria sp.

Purple corts

The east side of spider lake sports some old growth

1 comment:

Colin said...

Your maraschino cherry mushrooms could be Hygrophorus bakerensis.