Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Vincent Hill (Grisdale)

Huckleberries!
I did my test hike of 4 miles on a level surface today. I went up Vincent hill. The test was to see if I had pain later, the last time I did a 4 mile hike my ankle started to hurt about an hour later. My ankle did not roll at all on this hike and it does not hurt right now. There was mild pain while I was hiking but that might be normal for me.

The hike was not very peacefull thanks to the Forest Service Helicopter logging operation. The forest service is yanking 2,000 whole trees out of the ground and dumping them in the Skokomish river in the name of habitat restoration. What a crock of shit!!! That river is already filled with logs thanks to the 2007 rain on snow event. Anything to make a buck, and they got some nice grants to pay for this B.S..

The only view from the top was the helicopter logging. There was too much smog to see the cascades or anything else beyond Tacoma. I wonder if we will ever get our clear views back?

We are still fighting biomass incinerators in Shelton, it's goint to be a busy summer.


4 miles
elevation gain?


Lower Forest


Smoggy (no)view


Wood left to rot.  Not burned in an open pile or an incinerator in town


Cutting down trees and dumping them in the river (can you say boondoggle?)




In this close up you can see workers in orange and trees laid out on the bank

Same picture uncropped

Pano of view from the top.  Without the smog you can see the cascades from here.

No comments: