Sunday, February 25, 2007

Lower Lena Lake in the Snow with Geocachers

I was well enough to hike yesterday. I joined a group of geocachers who were hoping to go snowshoing at Lower Lena Lake whilst looking for geocaches. The morning of the hike I woke up to discover 1/4 of and inch of snow in my front yard, it was looking like a good day for shoeing! At 8:15 am two of geocachers picked me up at the park and ride and off we went.

The snow was gone by the time we got to Hoodsport but as we approaced the trailhead on Hamma Hamma road slush started to appear.

The group hiked at a fairly relaxed pace stopping frequently to catch their breath and chat. This worked out well for me since I was still weak from the flu and three weeks of no hiking.

The first Geocache of the day was the one I hid at the trailhead on December 20th, I watched the others look for it. One of my pop can stoves was in the cache and I saw one of the group members examine it quizically but he did not ask what it was.



The Second geocache was at the funny bridge that has no water under it. I had looked for that cache before and failed to find it. This time the four of us failed to find it. We think the cache is missing. Snow really started dumping on us while we were hunting for it.

The third cache we went for was near lunch rock and was placed by a man who had severly injured himself whilst repelling down lunch rock about three years ago. We found that cache with a bit of effort.

The fourth cache is one I have looked for 3 times and I was in no mood to look for it again. The three men I was hiking and geocaching with wanted to look for it anyway so I waited on lunch rock while they looked for the cache. Lunch rock had several inches of snow on it. After about 1/2 hour they came back to lunch rock empty handed. I am certain that this cache is missing.

The lake was mostly covered with ice and the ice had interesting patterns in it. The second image I altered to bring out the patterns the first is natural. Clicking any of the images on this page will enlarge them.





I think the black round spots that have cracks raidiating out from them may be caused by stumps and trees under the water. Lena Lake was formed by a natural land slide and the lake filled in where there used to be a forest.

There was not enough snow on the trail so we all carried our snowshoes for the entire hike. Snow was falling but it was melting almost as fast as it fell and the trees kept bombing us with snowballs. By the time we hiked out the snow was all turning to slush.

My hands and feet were soaking wet. As long as I was moving I was warm enough but once the hike ended and I had to sit in a car I got cold and did not warm up until I got home and had a hot cup of tea. I normally leave a hot thermos full of something in the car on a winter day but not this time.

I did have a nice hot cup of tea on lunch rock and my new stove worked great. It only needed 1/2 of the fuel I put in it. Too bad the others wandered off to look for a cache while my tea was brewing. My cuppa at the turn around point was not as relaxing as usual but it was hot and tasty.

I am quite stiff and sore this morning even though the hike was only 8.7 miles. I blame the flu. It seems like everytime I get into really good shape I get ill and then then have to work at getting in shape again. I'd really like to go long enough between illnesses to be able to lose weight. I was starting to hike twice a week and I was losing weight but now the lost weight is back and I have to start over again.


This is the first hike I have taken my new GPS on that I have also taken my old GPS on. My old GPS could only hold a signal for about 1/4 of this hike. My daughter and I would play guessing games to see who could correctly guess how many switchbacks we had to walk to reach the trail head and the nice warm car. With my new GPS with breadcrumbs turned on there is no guessing!

Total mileage 8.7, elevation gain 1,300 feet. This is advertised as a 6 mile rt hike but we made it an 8.7 mile hike. we did some off trail wandering but surly not 2 miles worth! I think the official mileage for this trail may be off a bit.

I had a good time hiking with the geocachers and I hope I can hike with them again next month but that is almost the same thing as hoping that my SO will still be unemployed next month. He works in the hospitality industry and usually has to work on the weekends when the geocachers (and almost all others) go hiking.

No comments: