Saturday, January 20, 2007

Green Mountain a rather strange day




I was still ill on my normal hiking day last week but I did feel better today so I decided to take a short 2 mile round trip hike to a terracache on Green Mountain with my tot. Well I got confused right away because the map in my GPS has the road in the wrong place and that cost me 1.75 miles. Then I found the right trail but knew I could not get a jogging stroller up that trail so I decided to give up on the terracache and go for a 4 mile round trip hike to a geocache. But I read the directions for one cache while following my GPS to a different cache and did not realize my mistake til I got home. After I had walked for 4 miles and was still .50 of mile away from the cache and 600 feet below it I decided it was time to turn around. The days are still short and I only had two hours of daylight left.

I ended up pushing the jogging stroller with my 35 pound tot in it 9.5 miles and I did not find any geocaches or terracaches. But I can say that I seem to be over my illness. 9.5 miles with 700 feet elevation gain while pushing a stroller. Today's hike is a 12 on the hike difficulty calculator but the calculator does not give me any credit for pushing a stroller.




I will be going back to Green Mountain so I can get those caches and more importantly so I can actually see the view from the summit. I never made it to the summit or a view point. I have a map of the mountain now and I know where I went wrong, I also know that I can't get up those trails with a jogging stroller. Bushwacking with a jogging stroller is easier than rolling up some of the trails I saw today!

I want to take my SO to see the lower road that I walked on it was very pretty as it followed a wetland with beaver damns.

I'm very tired so there are probably lots of typos and grammar problems and spelling problems here for me to work out later.

No comments: