Monday, April 19, 2021

Hutt River trail Petone to Avalon

No idea what this means



 I managed to find some King Boletes in the Wellington area and they were not in the woods, they were in a lawn!  So I decided to check out the Hutt River trail which is basically one big lawn.  

The trail runs for 16 mile and seems to be on both sides of the river.  It's pretty amazing.  There is a trail on each side that is up on a raised dike but there are other trails that are slightly closer to the river than the dyke. 

(The Hutt River Trail starts at Hikoikoi Reserve on Petone's Marine Parade or you can enter at many points along the Trail to Upper Hutt, 16 miles, 29 km away.)

I opted for the lower paths so I could stay off the pavement in my soft soled hiking shoes and so I could be near what few trees there were.

I did not find any King boletes but I got in a 7 mile hike and then I rode the bus back.  I'll hike up the other side of the river another day.  I think this would be more fun on a bike and I hope to bike it when my bike arrives.





Abra dropped me off near the trail as she headed off to work.  These steps took me to the trail. 



I crossed this train bridge to get to the other side of the Hutt River






The long legged Pukeko is such a funny bird.


I don't know what this bird is


The trail runs through a golf course here










Slippery Jacks were the only mushrooms that I found


Crossing a bridge back to the same side of the river so I could catch a bus home

The Hutt River
A massive lichen 
I headed for a park to have my lunch but what the map did not tell me was that is was a ball park

Riding the bus back home, I have to change busses at the mall
Cooling off at the Queensgate shopping center while I wait for my second bus
Perhaps the first photo I have ever posted of myself on this blog
Digital sign says when the bus is due.  It flashes on the camera, looks good to the eye though. 

Riding another bus home on my last hike
Inside the mall
Two Dollar Store



https://www.gw.govt.nz/huttrivertrail/


 
Running alongside the Hutt River from Petone to Upper Hutt, the 29km Hutt River Trail is an easy scenic walk and cycle path. It also allows access to the river for swimming, fishing and kayaking.

The Trail runs the entire length of the eastern riverbank. If you don't want to bike the whole trail short loops can be made between most of the bridges.

Along the trail you can discover two sites where The Lord of the Rings was filmed. In Harcourt Park you will find the site of Isengard, the ancient Gondorian fortress at the southern end of the Misty Mountains, facing Rohan. Between Moonshine and Totara Park the river was the site for The Great River Anduin.

 The Hutt River Trail runs as far as the Te Marua area of Kaitoke Regional Park and links into the Remutaka Rail Trail.

No comments: