Monday, December 16, 2019

Rata Ridge from Wainui Lookout down the Zig Zag trail.



I am surrounded by green hills in Wainuiomata and some of the are accessible.    There is one that I see no way up from the side I am on and I don't have a car in this country and I don't think buses go there.  Public Transport here is quite good if a bit pricey.  Pricey compared to what I am used to anyway.

I'm only here for a little while so I may as well explore all the hills I can easily reach first.
My friend dropped me off at the Winui hill lookout as she made her way to work.  I caught a bus back home at the end of this through hike of Rata Ridge.

I was very tired, I almost bailed and caught a bus home early.   Instead of bailing I decided to have a sandwich and a cup of coffee and then see if I felt good enough to carry on.   The food and coffee break was refreshing so I kept with my original plan.

I am enjoying the exotic plants and birds here.  The views were pretty good and a fantail bird followed me for a bit.

When I hit the bottom of the zig zag trail I walked to the Wainiu shopping area and had a steak and cheese pie and a coke.  I thought I had walked 6 miles and could get away with a pie, but my GPS was set to metric and I had only gone 6 kilometers.  Oh well the pie was good.  Not quite as good as the pies I had in Featherston though.

I got off one bus stop too late and I probably walked too far to get to my bus stop.  Doing anything in a foreign country is just a little bit more difficult.  It does not help that two bus routes share the same number and some of the same stops.  Be careful riding route 160.








Our house



4.5 miles with 600 feet elevation gain, including my walk to the bus stop












No comments: