Friday, April 5, 2019

North Fork Skokomish Soaker






Rain was in the forecast, so I was prepared.   The forecast said 1/10th to 1/4 inch.  As usual the forecast was wrong.  I think at least an inch fell while I was hiking.  The road is closed at the Park Entrance so I went in on the Dry Creek Trail.

I ran into quite a few people who were confused about how to get in, this combined with the weather gave me solitude today.  There is an area just off the trail that I have always been tempted to explore and today seemed like the day to do it.  It is a short hike for me and with the rain coming down in buckets a short hike seemed ideal.

*****************




 The area was beautiful but not actually the area I meant to explore, but close enough.  I discovered an old backpacking campground with two bear wires.  One campsite looked like it had been used in recent years.

I wonder why the park service abandoned this campground.  It's really nice, but a bit to close to the trail head for me.

It took me a long time to find the perfect spot for my tarp and it also took me a long time to get the tarp set up.  I think rain water got down my coat sleeve while I was reaching up to tie out my tarp.  By the end of the hike all of my waterproof gear had leaked some, but the rain was so severe that I guess my gear is still good, if not perfect.

I had a nice long lunch under my tarp.  I had triangle shaped rice noodles for the first time and I really liked them.  They were easy to eat with a spoon.  They were a bit more expensive than regular rice noodles though.  I had coffee followed by two cups of Pu'er tea to help me stay warm.

On the way out I took the half of the loop that comes out behind the ranger station.  There was a lot of heavy equipment parked near ranger station but no workers were around.

6.5 miles with 200 feet elevation gain

















No comments: