Sunday, September 30, 2018

Soaked out on Dry Mountain

Sage wearing her hunter orange to stay safe during hunting season



The last chance to hike up Dry Mountain this year before the wild life gates shut was today.  Yes, there was some rain in the forecast, but I was hoping for some cloudy views at the top.

Well it rained and it rained and it rained.  There would be no view even if we made the trip up.  My rain coat and waterproof boots failed.  Phil’s raincoat failed and he did not have rain pants or waterproof boots.  The higher up we went the more slippery and the more windy it got.

We bagged it, bagged the trip, not the summit.

  Nice fall colors but too wet to get any good photos of them.

I’m now in the market for new rain coat. My REI brand eVent jacket is just not made as well as my first one was.  This is my third one, the second one was not as good either, I should not have bought the third one.

Sad that my boots started leaking.  They are good boots, just too old now I guess.  La Sportiva brand gortex, so expensive!  They seem to last for three years. 

All my Solomon boots barely lasted me one season and sometimes not even one hike before I started getting wet feet.

I don’t want to have to buy new boots, that will kill my budget for a month.  I might just try some snow seal on them for now.

I’m  thinking of getting my next rain jacket at Cabelas.  I’ve had two people recommend them and the price is right too.

6 miles with 1,900 feet elevation gain





Sage blending in thanks to her orange coat

I hope that the animal who took a bit of this poison black and white Russula is okay. Looks like a deer bite. Only one bite taken and probably spit out, this can't taste nice. I keyed this out to Russula albonigra.


I hope that the animal who took a bit of this poison black and white Russula is okay. Looks like a deer bite. Only one bite taken and probably spit out, this can't taste nice. I keyed this out to Russula albonigra.




No comments: