Thursday, July 19, 2018

Paddles with Plankton at Lake Isabella





My fourth Kayaking trip!

Lake Isabella is the closest Lake with a public boat launch to my house and does not require me to drive over 40mph to get to it.

I load my yak onto the top of my car with straps and foam blocks since I did not have a roof rack.  I was too careless this time and scratched my car roof.  Oh well it is an old beater car anyway, well sort of.  It is a super well maintained Lincoln Town car, but it is so old!

I gave the newspaper a nice loud honk to show off my kayak as I drove past it, but they just looked confused.  They don't recognize my Lincoln I guess.  Oh well.

My Kayak is an Old Town Vapor 12.  I knew I wanted a longer kayak after my first trip where I was in a shorter yak and struggled to keep up with the people I was with.  They had 12 foot kayaks.  Problem is, I'm only 5'5" and I'm not getting any younger, so I hope I don't throw out my back loading a 12 foot kayak onto the roof of my car all by myself!

I had no help at all this time, the last few times people came up and offered to help me load and unload the beast.  It's okay though, I can do it myself, and I hope I get better at it.

The lake was a little rough so I was nervous.  I am so new to this sport.  How much roughness can my yak handle?  Am I going to die or tip over.  I was the only one on the lake and the peace and quiet was nice, but water is so dangerous that humans do have an instinctual fear of it. I actually don't mind sharing a lake the way I mind sharing a trail.   But the lakes are nicer with out loud speed boats making wakes that might kill me. 

I spend about two hours on the lake but did not go very far.  I only went to the inlet end and then around to the side directly opposite the boat launch.  I did this two times.  I did not want to go down lake in the wind because I might die paddling up wind.  Yes, I'm a bit nervous about my new sport, but still loving it.

I mostly just spent my time enjoying the lilly pads and the snails and the geese.  I found that if I ram my kayak into the lilly pads it will stop moving in the wind and give me a chance to take some photos.

I've wanted a row boat for a long time but getting one would require a trailer and a trailer requires storage space and car tabs and even a row boat I think has to be registered.  That was just too much.  But the Kayak does not require a trailer and does not have to be registered.

So far I've only taken my waterproof camera out on my Kayak.  I just don't want to dunk my other cameras.  I think perhaps I should try to purposely tip my yak in shallow water just so I can learn what it takes to make it roll over?  One review said that my particular Kayak sinks really fast!







An empty shell I found on the beach


Did not know this snail was here until I looked at my review screen.

No comments: