Friday, October 28, 2011

DNR does not honored disabled pass holders

 
 
 
The DNR needs to get its act together and start honoring all disabled people and not just disabled veterans.  Many disabled people could never have beome a veteran at any age, due to their disability.  It makes no sense to discriminate against disabled people who are not veterans.
 
I have PTSD (something that a lot of disabled veterans have) and I can use my 5 year state disabled pass to park for free at State Parks, but not on DNR or Fisheries land, nooooo they won't honor my pass.   I also have another disabled pass that allows me to park free at National Parks and National Forests.  The only place I can't park  for free with my disabled passes is in a stinking DNR clear-cut.  WTF ???
 
The same goes for my spouse who has a physical disability, with his disabled parking placard, he can use that at State Parks and he could get either a senior or a disabled pass for National Parks and Forests.  But he can't park in a DNR clear cut. 
 
This is a terrible system and this is why I no longer hike in the Capitol forest and we don't take our kids to Mima Mounds.  We won't buy a pass just to access DNR clear cuts when we can park for free everywhere else.  I've always hated the DNR and the way they "manage" their clear cuts.  This Discover Pass issue just gives me one more reason to hate the DNR.

The Department of fisheries (WDFW)  is just as bad, so I don't fish and I don't dig clams. 
 
  • Disabled veterans and other State Parks pass holders: The Washington State Legislature has created pass programs or certain visitors to Washington state parks. These existing passes reduce or waive camping fees for qualified limited-income senior citizens, disabled veterans, foster parents and people with disabilities. These pass holders are not required to display the Discover Pass while visiting state parks but are required to display the Discover Pass while on WDFW or DNR lands.

    Pass holders visiting state parks need to display their free- or reduced-price pass on the dashboard or fill out a self-registration envelope and include the pass number on the envelope.

    Disability placards or license plates: The Department of Licensing issues these disability permits and license plates, and holders of these are exempt from needing the Discover Pass on State Parks lands, pursuant to RCW 79A.05.065. Holders of these permits and plates do need to have the Discover Pass to access WDFW or DNR lands. For information about DOL-issued disability permits, visit www.dol.wa.gov/vehicleregistration/parking.html

  • No comments: