Friday, March 23, 2012

Green Mountain Geocache

4 miles, 500 feet elevation gain:

Had some geocaching adventures on Green Mountain and in the Tahuya area today. I was a bit worn out from the previous two hikes so I packed light and only brought my point and shoot camera.  The weather has been great  for my last three outdoor adventures.  I'm glad I ignored the forecasts.

  I found what I think is Rhytidiadelphus triquetrus down in a shady boggy area, I've not found it in the wild before.  I've only seen it in the lab.  I'm forcing myself not to bring home any moss samples, but I could not resist and I did bring home Niphotrichum elongata to look at. I'll have plenty of time to look at moss next quarter and I don't want to burn myself out.

There are some nice woods on Green Mountain, I fear that most of them will be gone soon.  Lumber prices are up and there was a guy from Pope and Talbot surveying the nice woods today.  Simpson has gone into over time running trains, burning shit in town and logging pecker poles on Dayton Peak.



Rhytidiadelphus triquetrus


Signs in the woods


old coffee maker converted into a geocache

The Olympics from Green Mountain with my point and shoot camera

No comments: