Saturday, January 22, 2011

Geocaching adventure gone slightly wrong

This was to be a short hike with a lot of driving in the National Forest.

 We were going for a geocache near Spider Lake but we got the Tundra stuck in the snow instead. Some locals gave us a ride out of the woods. Once we got back to my house we headed back out to Spider lake in the fading light with a convoy of both my Jeep Apache and Jeep wrangler with a winch.

The plan was to hook the wrangler to the stuck truck with a tow strap and if need be hook my Jeep to the wrangler via the winch. The Wranger is light and we were unsure if it could tow a Tundra through two feet of snow. Hooking the winch to my heavy Jeep Apache would have solved the weight problem. But we did not need to use the winch after all. Still, it was good to have a second vehicle out there in case the wrangler got stuck, we did not want to take any risks, since we had a 15 month old baby with us!

We were able to tow the truck out of the snow and then we bid farewell to the Jeep Wrangler and the baby, while we went after the cache in the dark.  We got first to find!


truck is free and now we are ready get that first to find


Waterfall at night.  It was too dark to see this without the camera flash


Frisbee'r goes for the cache while I stay low to gaurd my ankle


Just another day in paradise!

About one mile RT with about 300 feet elevation gain.
My ankle was fine in spite of the snow and in spite of my lack of trekking poles.

No comments: