Sunday, September 21, 2008

North Fork Skokomish

























I finally made it out hiking. I've been afraid to drive anywhere so I've just been riding my bike around town instead of going hiking. I started my journey by crashing my car into my garage! I did not know it was in gear when I let out the clutch after starting it. I always put the car in neutral (and put the E brake on) when I park.


I made it to the trail head at about 10:30 and I hiked to spike camp. I found a lot of lobster mushrooms but I did not pick them. I also found a handful of chanterelles that I did pick. There is a one quart limit on mushrooms in the National Park.

I finally saw the Salal leaf faces and I took a few pictures of them. I might upload my trip pictures later. My track log is not good because my GPS batteries were going dead. After I had hiked about 3/4 of a mile I realized I did not have my car keys on me. I ditched my pack underneath a giant lobster mushroom and went back to my car to get them. I was afraid that I had left my car door open too. I head was really spinning when I started my hike so who knows what state I might have left my car in. I found my keys in the car ignition and all the doors locked so I used my hide-a-key and retrieved my car keys and was soon on my way again. My hide-a-key has saved me many times now.

I was hoping to go to big log camp but when I got to spike camp I laid down to rest and before I knew it I was asleep. Quite strange to fall asleep with my head spinning from mania but I did and I felt so much better after I woke up. My head stopped spinning and I hike out at a leisurely rate. I got done at about 3:30.

College starts back up week after next. I'm really worried about how I'm going to do but my husband is pushing me hard to go back anyway.
Ok I'll try to stick just to hiking stuff.

I went about 7 miles. how many miles on my shoes now?

1 comment:

kelsieann said...

Good job on getting out.

Wishing you luck with the upcoming quarter at college.