Thursday, March 2, 2006

Doing the Dose





13.4 miles, I finally got in a good hike and I'm not suffering (much) from it. Dosewallips river road has been washed out for a few years now. The road is washed out 5.5 miles from the Dosewallips River Trail. There is fight going on between the Park Service and environmental groups that has kept the road from being repaired. About 1 mile before the washout there is a smaller washout that pickup trucks can drive over. I hiked down the road bed to the Ranger Station but on the way I took a .4 mile round trip detour to grab and log a geocache.



This is a pleasant area with moss draped trees and a rushing river below the road. I enjoyed my hike until about the 10th mile. I always seem to burn out at about ten miles and then I am no longer having fun but am in pain instead. The perfect hike for me seem to be to big log camp and back from the North Fork Skokomish trail head. When the Staircase gate is open it's a 10 mile hike. I could go on to camp pleasant but that makes for a 14 mile round trip hike and it's not so pleasant.

I need to get back in shape. I've regained 10 of the 20 pounds I lost after having my now two year old. Not good! I forgot to bring my camera on this hike so have no pictures to post.

No comments: