Friday, December 16, 2005

Staircase Area

Sunrise over I would like to see every trail in the staircase area and the only easily accessible trail left (this time of year) was the four stream trail. But the four stream trail is only four miles round trip and I prefer much longer hikes at this point. To make for a more interesting day I hiked the four stream trail and then turned around and hiked to slide camp on the other side of the river. I was going to hike to spike camp for a total of 12 miles but I decided that I did not want to go quite that far since there was an unexpected extra 2.4 miles to hike today and I did not want over do it with my mother visiting and the wear and tear of the holidays around the corner.

I left the house (with my mother in charge of babysitting) before day break and was treated to a wonderful sunrise over Lake Cushman. I was not surprised when I found the gate to Olympic National Park closed but I had not planned on the extra mileage. It was a 1.2 mile hike to the Ranger station from my car. There were elk at the gate but these were the only elk I saw all day.
fourstream trail in the snow
Four stream trail was nicer then I expected. I did not realize there was a trail running down both sides of the Skokomish. I had pictured the four stream trail to running perpendicular to the river. I enjoyed seeing the North Fork Skokomish from the other side. I hiked down the trail until it seemed to no longer be a trail and then I turned around.

There was snow on the ground starting before the Staircase parking area and the snow made the hike very pretty. I especially enjoyed hiking through the beaver burn area with the contrast of white snow on burned stumps. At one point on the trail there was an old cedar snag that I could stand inside of but unlike the snag at big log camp on the other side of the river this one was open and would not make a good rain shelter.

After finishing the four stream hike I headed up to slide camp on the other side of the river and cooked my lunch while sipping hot chocolate. After lunch I turned around and hiked back to the car. The road hike to the car and back was not unpleasant but next time I'm going to hike on the shady lane trail instead of the road. The shady lane trail parallels the road but on the other side of the river. It is a wonderful trail set in glorious old growth. The shady lane trail used to be part of the dry creek trail but it was cut off from the dry creek trail by logging and logging roads. The dry creek trails old growth is all gone and only stumps remain.

Wilderness Information Center Closed for the SeasonI noticed a side road or trail that spurs off the North Fork Skokomish trail and I hiked up it a little ways. I don't know where it goes and it's not mentioned in any of the books or trailhead signs that I have seen. Maybe I will go back and some point and hike it so I can find out where it goes.



On the road hike back to the car I passed an older couple who were hiking in. They asked me if I had seen any elk. As far as I can tell they were the only other people in the park while I was there.

I hiked from 8am to about 12:30. Total mileage today about 10 miles with almost no elevation gain. I wished I had hiked longer. With all the things that have happened lately and with the holidays looming I really could have used a good long hike to clear my head.

I doubt that I will get to go on a hike next week. But I am looking forward to doing some hiking with my oldest daughter on the week after Christmas while she is out of school.

On Jan 1-3 my family is going to stay and the interrorum cabin on the Duckabush. Maybe we can all unwind there.

No comments: