Friday, June 1, 2018

Attention Mount Rose Trail Crew or anyone else who may want to reopen part of an old trail



I found and old map showing where the Dry Creek Trail used to go and  I think that from the 4 way intersection up,  the old trail tread would still be findable and in old growth forest.  The old trail tread could be found and the old trail could be reopened!  I think only one little section near the upper switchbacks in the road that goes to the current trail head has been logged.  No reason the trail can not be reopened at least from where it crosses Lebar Creek up to the current trail head, thus avoiding building a new bridge to cross Lebar.  It would be nice hike in a pretty area avoiding the overgrown road.

As it is I have to park at the 4 way due to the state of the road up there, my hike distance would be the same if I started at the 4 way but on the old trail.

I'm going back out there to see if I can find the old tread.  Update, we found it!

Cut log on the abandoned section of the Dry Creek Trail


A rough drawing of where the old trail went based on a 1953 map of Mount Tebo
http://historicalmaps.arcgis.com/usgs/

No comments: