Thursday, July 20, 2006

Deseret Peak

Straddling the Stansbury Mountains, the Deseret Peak Wilderness rises to its highest point of 11,031 feet on Deseret Peak.



Deseret Peak is in Utah and I hiked up it on my trip to the Grand Canyon. This is the highest peak I have ever bagged and also the highest up I have ever been . The hike up was fun until the snow got to be a bit too much. I was a bit scared but I really wanted to bag this peak so I could enjoy the views of the Great Salt Lake below.


I opted to take the longer route down in hopes that I would run into less snow but there were still some scary spots going down. I lost a trail a few times but was able to refind it partially due to having my GPS. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the route of the trail was mapped on my GPS. My map program only had roads on it as far as I knew.

The view from the top was awesome but I was feeling the altitude. I had vertigo and my stomach was upset. I live at sea
level so I could feel it when I reached the
11,031 hight summit.



This was a great hike and I'm glad I did it but I wish there had been a bit less snow. I had to detour around some snow chutes that I did not feel safe crossing witout my ice axe.

This hike was 13 miles with 3,500 feet of elevation gain.











No comments: