Monday, January 25, 2021

Big Creek Sunrise


 I used to hike this trail up to the overlook quite often in the winter.  It was my go to winter hike.  But then the trail started to get crowded and I quit coming.  The last time I drove past this trail head the parking lot was full and there were cars parked up and down the side of the road.  I miss this hike, but I hate crowds even more.  

I've thought about hiking earlier or later in the day, later in the day is bad this time of year unless I want to hike out in the dark.  Early in the day is hard for me always because I am a night owl.

I've had so much trouble sleeping lately due to the excitement of my upcoming move. Last night I was tossing and turning as usual up and down up and down.  Sciatica a mysterious new shoulder paid made it hard for me to get comfortable.  

At 6:30 am I decided to quit trying to sleep and instead go hiking.   I jumped up and packed my back quickly, normally I pack the night before, but this hike had not been planned at all.  I calculated how much time I had to get to the trail head before the sun rose, did I have enough time.  I checked my watch again and it was actually 5:30, so I had plenty of time to beat the sun and the crowds to the trail head.  

The weather forecast was for rain starting at noon so I packed my rain gear.  I also called and cancelled a medical appointment I had for the afternoon.  I put my boots and gaiters on in the house so I would not have to do that in the dark at the trail head.  I walked out to my car or tried to but my gate was frozen shut.  No problem I poured a bit of my coffee over the gate latch and it opened right up.  

My car was frozen and my bike was still in my car.  I had to take time to scrape the windows and put my bike back in the house.  The roads were icy too so I would have to drive slow.  Also I was almost out of gas, so I had to stop to get gas too.

With all of that, I still made it to the trail head and started my hike at 6:30.  It was still quite dark and I had to hike by headlamp.  I don't like hiking alone in the dark, I find it scary, but I also hate crowds and by starting my hike in the dark I was sure to avoid the crowds.  The parking lot was all mine of course.  As I plodded up the trail I tried not to think about cougars too much.  I've heard that they are most active at dawn and dusk, I tried not to think about that.  Instead I thought about how the only animal caused fatality in the history of Olympic National Park was caused not by a cougar or a bear, but by a goat.

45 minutes into my hike it was light enough to turn my headlamp off and to take some pictures.  The light from the rising sun was interesting.  It was nice to be able to take photos in the sweet light.  I was quite surprised that there was no deep snow on my route, there should have been some this time of year.  Honestly I would have been find without my gaiters, that is how little snow there was. 

I made it to my turn around point at 8:30 and I was not ready for lunch yet so I had a cup of coffee.  The sun had come out full and bright and the trees and the ground were frosted with snow, the view was lovely, there was no sign of the rain that was coming. 

  While I was at at the lookout I realized I still had plenty of time for my medical appointment so I called an uncancelled my appointment.  Next I headed for the lower Ellinor trail head to see what the road conditions where.  I knew that if I turned back by ten am I would have plenty of time to hike back to my car and drive to my appointments.  

I saw one car with a couple getting out and getting ready to start hiking at the lower trailhead so I did not linger.  I headed back to the overlook and then back down to my car.  I only saw one other hiker on the trail all day, it was great!

6 miles with 2,000 feet elevation gain. 

Since rain had been in the forecast I only brought a little camera for this hike. 

The rising sun lights up little patches of the forest with Orange










I was lucky this gal hung around so long so I could get an okay shot with my 18 mm lens









No comments: