Friday, December 4, 2020

Haven Lake with Patches

Patches at Haven Lake in 2016 Patches died this same year


I've not been to Haven Lake in a long time since the 800 line is mostly red dotted now.  Thanks to the popularity of the Vance Creek Bridge (I think) the 800 line and the evacuation route are red dotted for most of the year.

Right now only the gate that leads directly to the path that goes to the far side of the Vance Creek Bridge is shut.  I've heard the path there is heavily marked with no trespassing signs. 

This hike is entirely a road walk and it offers a bit of solitude. I'm only blogging about it because I am probably about to move and won't need to protect my solitude in the Olympics after that.

There is a really good view of the Vance Creek Bridge from the road leading to the lake.


At the lake I brush crashed on a way trail on the far shore for a bit.  The woods there are nice and I found some late chanterelles.  I had my lunch at the old car pull out but fist I hid some of the trash from my view.

The car pullout is the only place to sit with a good clear view of the lake but the area is trashed and does not feel very nice.

I ran out of light on the way back, short winter days are hard on a mushroom hunting night owl.  I get caught out in the dark quite often. 

I could not decide where to spread Patches ashes because we went together to so many wonderful places.  Instead I have decided to leave little bits of her in special places over the next few months. 

7 miles 500 feet elevation gain


Stay away from this side of the Vance Creek Bridge it is well posted and is dangerous.  Visitation is only allowed on the other side of the bridge.  Still struggling with bloggers new photo format and don't have the caption option figured out yet.


                                  






Not the Vance Creek Bridge.  



Looking up to the about the site of an old airplane crash 
a landslide took the debris away.  

Falls Creek

Snow capped Mount Ellinor.  Very little snow for December!


I think this is a pile of dog ashes that someone left very recently
It seems that Patches will have company here.

A bit of Patches waiting to go for a swim with the next rain










2011 Patches Haven Lake

2016 Patches Haven Lake





No comments: