Friday, November 24, 2017

Turkey Burn 2017, Dayton Peak






Turkey burn day!  The weather forecast was foul and I wanted to sleep in, so a close to home hike seemed ideal.  The road to Staircase is washed out, so I knew that would make the usual nearby trails even more crowded.

Dayton Peak is an okay tree farm hike.  The Peak has a great view when it's not all socked in with fog.  Most of the time when I do this hike it is winter time and the view is not there.  The best part about this hike is how close it is to home.  I don't have to wear out my car driving to the trail head.  Also there is plenty of solitude to be found on a weekday anyway.  During the week in the summer I think this would be a miserable hike with all the active logging operations.




 I reached level 40 in Pokemon go and am getting bored with the stale game play and lack of good updates.  With every update Pokemon go seems to get worse.  Now I am playing Draconius go too.  I can still get walking credit and catch things in Pokemon go by using my go plus in the background while playing Draconius go.

Image may contain: textDraconuis go is a lot more fun to play when hiking, it has buildings and spawns spread out randomly instead of just in the cities.  On this hike I had lots of fun brushcrashing to a portal, finding a Mother of Dragons and hatching a 10hour egg.  I found two overlapping pillars of abundance (think pokestop) on the summit where I have my lunch.  All I could do in Pokemon go was hatch all of my eggs by walking and then I was done.  No pokestops anywhere on my trails so no way to fill up with eggs.  I did catch one Nindoran male at the summit though.


So this is not the most exciting hike and it's not the most beautiful hike but with a little help from Draconius go I had a blast today.  Dayton Peak is also quite clean considering how close it is to Shelton.  I find that all the close in hikes are clogged with garbage and toxic wastes dumps such as Goose Lake and the C street landfill.  But this hike does not seem so nasty.  Still with it being close to Shelton I expect there must be a toxic waste sight of some sort in the area and I pack in all of my own water from home.

I really want to get a Sawyer S3 filter  to filter out all the toxins and herbicides, so I can safely drink tree farm water.  Its on my Christmas list if you want to send me one.

I packed to turkey sandwiches but only ate one on the trail.  I did not have coffee at the top in the cold and wind.  I had a coffee break in the woods near two overlapping pillars of abundance.

Two trucks drove past, I hid both times. I always hide when I see or hear a car.  Better safe than sorry.

9 miles with 750 feet elevation gain.

The trail head


A no calorie supper.  Pumpkin pie with whipped cream for dessert
Grandma said that nothing has any calories in it on holidays and on your birthday.
I'm sure that grandma was right, but just to be safe I always do a turkey burn.


This hand warmer was missing the metal piece that activates it.


A logging road.  Not to pretty, but better than the city and plenty of room for stretching the legs out.



No comments: