Thursday, October 19, 2023

Hike and bike for mushrooms

 


The wildlife gates are shut even though the sign says they do not shut until November, there must be some confusion.  With the gates shut I figured I might have a shot at getting some mushrooms at some old favorite spots on the Skokomish.  Not too many people would walk as far as you have to walk when the gates are shut I figured.

I rode my bike to the trail entrance and looked for mushrooms as I rode.  I was sad to discover that my longtime spot has been selectively logged and no longer produces mushrooms.  Looks like the logging was done a couple of years ago.

It’s been hard year for me that way.  I’ve lost a lot of spots to logging this year and about to lose a bunch my best spots that are close to home.  I’m rendering a video about some of those spots right now and I hope to have the video up tonight.

Glorious fall colors are out, the maples are lovely.  I really enjoyed seeing the fall colors on a sunny day.  I did not get many mushrooms but I had a good time and I only saw on other person.  One person too many, but what can I do?  Solitude on the trails has become impossible in the last 5 years.  So many people are moving to this state.

Bella was fine running behind my bike. I never had Sage run behind my bike I could just tell she was not up for that, she was big and had a bad hip. 

I thought about Patches a lot on this bike ride.  She and I took this route a lot.  Maybe I will start doing this route again with Bella, I never ran into anyone on the route I used to take with Patches. 

I think I’m still tired from Wagon Wheel Lake, so my old body can still make it to the lake but recovery takes a bit longer these days.



















No comments: