Thursday, October 10, 2019

Wagon Wheel Lake




Mount Rose is too crowded for me and I would still like to be able to get a good workout close to home.  Copper Creek trail is also getting too crowded, so I have decided to move to Wagon Wheel Lake trail for now.  Being behind the National Park pay wall helps to cut down the crowds, that and it is a hard hike that does not go into the high country unless you want to do some super steep off trail stuff at the end.

Before I could hike I had to sort out my 15.5 year old child who had been "locked out" of school by a baby gate across the classroom door.  I probably yell at that kid too much, but he is so exasperating!  

So I was off to a late start and the days are getting shorter, but at least we have not hit daylight wasting time yet, so I just had enough time for this hike even with the late start.
I reached the newly paved parking lot and parked next to the noisy generator at about 10:30 but pay station was closed.  

The last time I went here two weeks ago I was surprised to see it open and really annoyed that I had to wait quite awhile for the person in the car  ahead of me  to move.

The hike up was hard  and I had to stop to rest my legs a few times.  I seem to have gotten over most of my iron deficiency anemia though, so hikes like this are getting a bit easier.

 I was extremely anemic for most of my child bearing years.  My serum ferritin was below 10.   Things are better now though, I fixed the problem with hemi iron and vitamin A supplements and age. 

When I reached the avalanche chute I noted that the trail was in worse shape than normal.  I was surprised to find a person in the chute clearing the trail.  I've never seen someone on this trail before.    He was another solo hiker with a vast knowledge of all the "remote" trails in the area.  A kindred spirit of sorts.

When I reached the lake snow was falling very lightly but it soon stopped.  Still it was cold up there so I put on all my layers before I stopped for lunch and I wished I had worn my long underwear pants.

Hot lunch and coffee kept me just warm enough and I found a spot right on the shore to sit at.  It made a nice change to have spot on the shore.  I opted to turn around at the lake since I'm not in the best hiking shape ever.

My trip most of the way to the lake two weeks ago left me sore for a week and my legs were shaking on the way down.  It was my first big elevation gain hike all summer unless you count my trip up Gold Mountain.

As I headed back down I saw the man, was still in the chute clearing brush.  I gave him my card so I could swap trail info with him.   Hope he did not take it the wrong way.  But he is a man, so by default he probably did.  I'm not even sure why I was so quick to give him my info.  I like hiking alone and I'm not looking for a date

On the way down I picked some nice mushrooms but not anywhere near as many as I wanted since the mushroom limit in Olympic National Park is extremely stingy.
I got a bit tired on the way down and I stopped for a couple of much needed breaks, but my legs did not turn to jello this time.

A pay envelope was left on my windshield better than a ticket I guess, but it really irks me that folks have to pay so much to access the national park.  

My GSP always registers this trail as shorter than the official mileage.  This trail might be steeper than ONP thinks.








No comments: